Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Download PDF

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is very common in a city like Hong Kong.

Recent estimates of the prevalence of IBS have been increased in the light of the new diagnostic criteria, the Rome IV Criteria, published in May 2016. 

Currently investigation for IBS includes colonoscopy, MRI and routine stool examinations. In most cases the findings are negative and a follow up treatment is usually based on oral medication to relieve symptoms. Many people with IBS are also depressed or anxious and treatment for both depression and anxiety is included.

IBS as defined suggests inflammation of the gastrointestinal system.

At Marina Medical we investigate IBS cases based on the premise that there is an inflammatory process in the bowel. Assuming inflammation as a starting point can assist in more directed treatment of this condition, these treatments are often very successful even resulting in cure of the condition in some patients.

Testing can elucidate many of these causes of gut inflammation.

Most of the causes are treatable.

Anxiety can cause gut symptoms but it should be noted that the gut dysfunction may lead to anxiety and depression. It is a fact that Serotonin a eurotransmitter which greatly influences mood is manufactured in both the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the gut. Up to 80% of our serotonin may be manufactured in the gut with the other 20% produced elsewhere in the body, mainly in the CNS. Repairing the gut can lead to less symptoms of anxiety and depression.  

Causes of Gut Inflammation:
• Infection (bacteria/ viruses/ yeast)
• Parasites
• Allergy (IgE allergy; IgG food intolerance)
• Toxic damage
• Poor gut bacteria
• Coeliac disease
• Intestinal diseases
(Crohn’s/ diverticulitis/ cancers)


Detecting Allergies

Get In Touch

For any enquiry, please call +852 3420 6622, Whatsapp +852 5228 0810, or

Preferred language (for consultation only)*:
Preferred Time:
*required fields